Give a special gift this holiday season by making a family photo collage card. This kids’ craft project can be used as a unique present for holidays such as Christmas or Hanukkah. Involve the entire family when designing and making this memorable artwork that will be loved by grandparents, aunts, uncles, or any family friend.
Family Holiday Activity
This craft project is intended to be an activity for the entire family. It is important to make sure that each family member is included in at least one of the steps. Try to encourage all family members to participate in the entire collage project.
Certain steps may interest (or be more appropriate for) family members of specific ages. For example, a toddler may have no interest in choosing the photos for the collage, but he may enjoy arranging them on the paper.
Materials Needed to Make a Holiday Photo Collage
Parents need to prepare some essential materials to get the craft project started.
- Holiday themed photos: These can be pictures from previous Christmas or Hanukkah holiday celebrations or new photos taken specifically for this activity.
- Clear drying, non-toxic glue
- Cardboard, card stock, or other sturdy paper
- Markers or crayons
- Optional: Holiday stickers or glitter
Steps to Create a Christmas or Hanukkah Photo Collage
Before beginning this craft activity, gather together a variety of holiday themed photos. Look for different types of photographs. These may include pictures of the family opening presents, decorating a Christmas tree, lighting a menorah, eating a holiday meal, celebrating a holiday party, or a school holiday play/recital.
If some of these photos are too precious to part with, try scanning them into a home computer and printing them. If the pictures are already saved on travel media, print out a second set just for this project.
Add in some new holiday photos that are taken for this activity. Encourage the child (or children) to take some of the pictures.
- After the photos have been gathered together, lay them out on a large piece of cardboard or other sturdy paper. Avoid simply placing them side by side. Instead, try varying the angles or cropping some photos by cutting them to fit with scissors. Overlap some of the pictures for added visual interest. Make sure to include photos of each family member. This can include pets too!
- Once the layout has been determined, gently pick up each photo and glue it to the cardboard (or other paper) background.
- Add a special holiday message with markers or crayons. Even young children can help with this step. Ask the child to write the necessary letters. If the child is too young for this step, lightly write the letters first and then ask the child to trace them with a marker.
- Optional: Add holiday stickers or glitter with glue for a special effect.
- Set aside to dry.
After the holiday family photo collage has dried, give it as a gift to a family member or friend. Create multiple collages for many different holiday presents. Keep one for the family as a reminder of this very special time together.