Enjoy the winter holiday season in the Boston area of Massachusetts located on the Northeast coast of the United States. Historic celebrations include reenactments of Thanksgiving in the early 19th century, as well as holiday house tours of historic mansions.
Thanksgiving In Boston
Couples and families can choose to walk the Freedom Trail and visit the only museum open on Thanksgiving day in the Boston area, the U.S.S. Constitution, or can get involved in special events:
- Old Sturbridge Village’s Thanksgiving Day Celebration – a re-creation of Thanksgiving celebrated in the early 19th century. Learn table manners, hear the sermon and watch the actors cook on an actual hearth fire! Located in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, call 508-347-3362 for details.
- Plimouth Plantations’ All-Day Thanksgiving Celebration – guests can choose to join the Plantation for breakfast or lunch while exploring the grounds or reserve a spot for Thanksgiving dinner. Located in Plymouth, Massachusetts, call 508-746-1622 for more information.
Dining options for Thanksgiving day includes:
- Henrietta’s Table inside The Charles Hotel at 1 Bennett Street in Cambridge, 617-661-5005.
- Savenor’s Market on Charles Street offers Thanksgiving meals for delivery in Boston, call 617-723-6328 for details.
Christmas In Boston
Don’t miss the official Tree Lighting Ceremony held on December 4th, 2017 from 6-8pm in the Boston Common. Santa and carolers will put the crowd into the holiday spirit with sing-alongs and performances. Call the park’s department at 617-635-4505 for more information.
Holiday celebrations at Castle Hill on the Crane Estate in Ipswich are a North Shore favorite. Holiday house tours are offered the weekend of December 5-7 where the mansion has been decorated in holiday adornments. On the 14th the North Shore’s Cantemus will perform a holiday choral program, pre-registration is required. Call 978-921-1944 x8815 for details.
Enjoy ice skating on Boston Common’s Frog Pond open 10am to 5pm weekdays and 10am to 10pm Fridays and Saturdays.
Other favorites include the Boston Baroque’s Handel’s Messiah performance at the NEC’s Jordan Hall the first weekend in December, 617-484-9200 for tickets and times. And the Boston Ballet’s “The Nutcracker” at the Boston Opera House at 539 Washington Street in Boston, call 617-695-6955 for ticket information.
Young children and adults will appreciate the Stone Zoo’s Zoolights feature in the evenings starting on Thanksgiving and running through December 30th. Santa Claus will be available for photos with children. Stone Zoo is located at 149 Pond Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. They can be reached by phone at 617-541-5466.
Hanukkah In Boston
- Chanukah Celebration at Emmanuel Church at 15 Newbury Street, Boston, MA by the Boston Jewish Spirit. Event celebrates the Festival of Lights with menorah lighting, singing and reflections. Held on December 21st at 5pm.
New Year’s In Boston
A collaboration of events will take place on December 31st called First Night Boston. This event brings a million visitors and locals to the streets of Boston to ring in the New Year with fireworks, a parade and many art performances and displays.